How to survive dry January you say? How’s about by… not doing it? Just kiddin’! After all the booze we indulged in over the Christmas period and, let’s face it, the rest of 2020 entirely, our kidneys are pleading with us to take it easy this Jan. With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of fail-safe (don’t hold us to that) tips and tricks for successfully completing, and surviving dry January this year.
Not what you’re thinking… (way too late for that hun!).
Just because you’re dropping the alcohol for the month doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious drink or two. Check out the websites below for some guilt-free mocktail recipes and enjoy being a smug fucker when your mates are nursing hangovers the next day.
‘To Detox Or Not To Detox?’
Some say the body is a temple, but after holiday indulgence the body ends up feeling more like Wetherspoons: cheap and boozy. Maybe it’s time to make it up to our livers after all we’ve put them through in 2020 and start 2021 a bit healthier (then at least we can say we tried!)
There’s plenty of fads out there from teatox-ing to juice cleanses but aside from making you need to go to the loo every 5 minutes there’s little evidence these trends make much of difference. Our bodies already pretty amazing systems in place for detoxification BUT there are definitely things you can do to give your body a helping hand; for instance:
- Hydrate! – Water is super important for detoxifying your body even though it doesn’t taste as god as a G&T.
- Getting more Zs – Time for an early night (no scrolling insta til 2am!) and let your brain recharge.
- Eating less sugary/processed food – No hangovers = no need for that cheeky Maccy D’s.
- Get your body moving – Try some Youtube exercise videos or wrap up for a morning jog.
Raise Some Funds
It’s the morning after the night before, you’re checking through your bank statement with a pounding head and a sinking feeling – “How much did I spend on shots??” – we’ve all been there. Sign up to a fundraiser and kill two birds with one stone: generate some funds for a good cause and give yourself that extra motivation to kick the booze for a whole month! Charities like Cancer Research and Alcohol Change UK are a great place to donate; they also offer tips and tricks for you sober soldiers.
Download Alcohol Change UK’s ‘Try Dry’ app here.
Sign up for the Cancer Research ‘Dryathlon’ here.
Two sober heads are better than one! Get your girlfriend or a mate to go dry with you (with bribes if necessary!) You can check the other person is staying on track and you won’t be the only one sipping a soda and lime on the next night out.
Let’s face it: 2020 has been a shit show. And, to be honest, we can only do the “drowning our sorrows” thing for so long – we’re not Freshers anymore! Why not kick off 2021 with a new hobby or activity to keep you entertained on those crappy, dry January days.
- Learn A New Language – With a variety of free or paid apps available (Babbel, Duolingo, Mondly) it’s never been a better time to brush on your Español or Français. Perhaps start day dreaming again about all those cancelled holidays!
- Baking – While Bake Off is definitely not the same since the departure of Queen Sandy Toksvig we can still try and recapture some of that first lockdown energy and get back to making way too much banana bread.
- Embroidery – With easy-to-use kits available on Etsy and Hobbycraft you can make some cute decorations to brighten up the place or to give as gifts.
- Journaling – If nothing else it’s been an interesting year! Starting a journal is a great way to keep track of any personal goals, remember the good times (and even the not so good times).
#newyearnewme – it’s a cliche for a reason! The new year can be the shake up you need to refresh and kickstart something different. We hope these tips help you if you decide to go for a sober January, good luck and (a non-alcoholic) cheers to 2021!
Thinking of going all-in and giving Veganuary a go while you’re at it? Check out our guide.
If you have any other tips for us then lets us know in the comments below!